It's Wiscpunk You Idiot

9.27.2007

27 September 2007 - p.m.

27 September 2007 –

Well, so much for my celibacy experiment. Cody came by to get his mail and visit for a moment before he went to work at the Round Up, and we couldn’t really help it. It was nice, however, and I had missed him a great deal. He kept saying he wasn’t coming back, and I just kept enjoying the fact that he was here. So it’s all good, I suppose. I’m sure I can get twisted behind it again at some point if I choose to. For now I’ll just consider it a pleasant afternoon with someone I care about a great deal doing what seems to come very naturally to both of us.

I went a little overboard shopping this evening. I went to Target to get dad some speakers for his computer, and ended up spending $130 on that and housecleaning supplies and stuff like toothpaste, toilet paper, paper towels and shampoo. I then went to Tom Thumb and spent $75 on groceries. I got home a little after 9pm, and I just finished cutting up veggies and fruit and packing it all into little plastic tubs to carry with me for meals over the coming days. I also got a few packages of salmon, some smoked for omelets in the morning and some frozen and thawed for cooking tomorrow afternoon and in a few days time when I get sick of chicken again. Sometime early next week I’ll get myself a steak again as well. I don’t figure it hurts to have one per week.

I got some fat-free cottage cheese and bananas, raspberries, oranges, plums, new potatoes, red cabbage, broccoli, carrots and celery. I got skim milk and a half-dozen eggs to tide me over until I get to the farm tomorrow night. I also have frozen, unsweetened peaches from the farm in the freezer and one tub of those at work. They’re having a birthday breakfast at the office in the morning with sausage rolls and doughnuts, and I told Lynn to count me out on that. Historically, I’ve been the one to bring all that stuff in at least once per week, and I think I’ve used up my quota. I’ll treat myself to lots of fresh fruit and some of those rice cake snacks tomorrow. I got a few packages of those as well. I’m a huge fan of kettle corn popcorn, and I was disappointed to read all the fats and trans fats on the label two weeks ago. I have since found some of those rice-cake snacks that are the same flavor, and I’ve stocked up on those.

I actually eat quite a bit still, but none of it has any sugar or fat to speak of. I was amazed at how much sodium is in everything I buy, however, and I’ve been pretty careful to limit that. I went looking for vinaigrette the other night and ended up just buying some balsamic vinegar for my red cabbage, because everything else was loaded with sodium. I’m eating pretty good stuff, however. Every day I grill some chicken or fish and dress it up with lemon juice and perhaps a little rosemary or Tabasco. I eat a great big egg-white omelet just about every morning and accompany that with some oatmeal with nothing in it but skim milk and banana, though tomorrow I may opt for berries in it.

I noticed today that my chest and arm were still noticeably achy on my mid-day walk, but nothing like they were two weeks ago. I think I’m covering at least a mile each time I take off from the office, sometimes double that, but I’m taking it easily and reading as I go most of the time. I always feel better afterward, even though I’m sweaty and tired. I gave away an entire box of wild grape jelly to my landlady this evening when I stopped by to pay the rent for October. It was the last batch dad made, and it was pretty liquid stuff, but she likes it that way. She says she drizzles it on her waffles and stuff like that and uses it like syrup. She’s welcome to it. I enjoyed picking the grapes, but dad did more work making it. I was happy to give it up. I have a few jars of the first batch still, and I can eat a tiny bit of that on toast from time to time. She gave me one jar of homemade apricot preserves, and I’ll enjoy those for a weekly treat or something.

Come to think of it, I should mail off some chow-chow soon, as I’ll have less use for it with these eating habits. It’s got plenty of sugar in it, though most of the jars I have are the spicy kind. I have plenty of tomatoes canned from the garden, and I’ll have plenty of use for those in the coming months.

Money will be tight for the next week, but I have just about all the food I’ll need for four or five days at least. I shop for food more often, but I tend to eat everything I buy and enjoy most of it pretty well. I have less waste and less compulsive eating, and I still have plenty to eat. I’m not drinking nearly as much water as I had been for some reason. I’m just not nearly as thirsty, and I don’t feel the same need to continually flush my system that I did before. I should probably drink more than I am now, however. I made a pitcher of orange juice this evening.

Dad got high-speed internet this week for the first time. Sure enough, he’s enjoying the difference. I’ll head out to the river tomorrow night to look over that for him and hook up his new speakers. But mostly I’m going out to play with Sarah. I was only there for a few minutes last weekend, and I miss her all week long when I’m in town. I really love my dog, and she’s really attached to me as well. I should bring her into town more often when the weather cools down some, even though it means filling up my truck twice a week instead of once in order to accomplish that. I remember filling it up almost every day and charging the gas to dad’s card. A lot has changed in the last year and a half.

posted by Mugtoe at 23:11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home